Friday, May 3, 2013

Is This Goodbye?

Well, this will be the last blog post I will ever write. I may come back occasionally and post bits of information on interesting topics, but for literature, I’m done. I’m just glad to get this final blog out of the way and not have to worry about it later. Although these blogs takes up so much of my time, I did enjoy these assignments and overall, it helped me a lot on my writing and analytical skills. So for this last post, instead of talking about my favorite books, arts, etc. I am going to criticize the books that I despise the most.
The #1 book that I despise the most is Their Eyes were Watching God. Many readers aren’t use to the language the author uses thus making the plot difficult to follow. For me personally, English isn’t my native language and to read a novel that’s written in southern dark slang is almost impossible. It’s like having someone with a southern accent try to read Shakespeare. (You get the picture.) The difficulty of the language and grammatical structure makes the plot harder to comprehend but once you get use to it, it will be easier. Just have to read it out loud 20 times.
The second book that I hated reading was A Tale of Two Cities. The book was too long for me and I can’t stand any book that is over 300 pages. It’s just not for me. The novel was a long and tedious read. You just want to get it over with so you don’t really pay attention to the small and important aspects of the novel. There wasn’t anything interesting in the novel unless you are a French revolution fanatic. Not only was the book long, the structure was even more confusing. It is divided into three separate books and in a different time and setting for each. Throughout each book, there was a shift between characters. You are starting to get what the characters are presenting but then it shifts to a different character with a different perspective. There were too many characters and I forgot most of them. The structure affected the plot a lot and made it more complicated.
The era and genre of a specific novel impacts your opinions on a book and is a major factor in determining whether you liked or hated it. From Divine Comedy to Frankenstein to Hamlet and finally The Secret Agent, the style of the work written in an early time varies from works that are written in modern time. It is a lot easier to understand, and the structure isn’t as strange. But as Ms. Healey says; “You don’t have to like a book for it to be a great book.”
So is this farewell? Will we see each other again? I guess this is it. This was a fun experience but it felt more like writing a prompt rather than blogging your opinions. If I did blog about what I think everything now and then, I would be in a lot of trouble. But I will be back once in a blue moon and post some interesting ideas. This blog may become my personal engineering website in the future. But for now, I bid thee farewell!

1 comment:

  1. You may have hated A Tale of Two Cities, but you got it.

    ReplyDelete